Sunday, August 11, 2013

growing... and not growing


I'm an awful gardener this summer.


I waited and waited on the peaches to get bigger and almost missed the whole crop.  We had about 20 peaches when it came down to it, and were able to eat about half.  The bugs got a few, and a few were just too ripe by the time we got to them.  I wasn't expecting any this first year so I'll be happy with 10.

 
I thought I was growing zucchini, then I thought it was  a watermelon.  It turned out to be a pumpkin.  We have one beautiful orange pumpkin.  In August.  No zucchini.  No watermelon.

 
The eggplant are so tiny they aren't worth prepping to eat.   I've been so neglectful.  So so neglectful. 


The tomatoes are just now starting to ripen.  They're a month behind schedule.  Hopefully I get some nice ones before frost. 


I planted over a dozen green bean plants and have about three left.  One at least is a good producer.  The dog loves the top garden.  Loves it like he digs and rolls in it.  Live and learn.

I wrote on facebook the other day that it's a good thing it 2013 and food is available at the store because we'd starve this winter.  I haven't even put up any produce from the farmers market this summer.  I've had a one track mind... school!  (I'm back full time now and the kids come this week.  I am happy to spend my days working on things for school.  I forgot how much I love it.)

No comments: