Monday, July 8, 2013

shorts turned purse- a remake

 I was feeling like I wanted a fun lazy summer purse. Something easy going and slouchy.  I picked out a pattern online and then went to my stash to find some fabric.  I found a pair of old navy XL shorts I had purchased on clearance for 99 cents just for a remake.  They didn't have my size but I loved the orange/salmon color and white sailboats. It wasn't enough fabric for the pattern I chose, so I scrapped the pattern and just went with the shorts.


Basically I just pulled out the stitches in the crotch running from one leg to the other turning it into an open at the bottom skirt shape.  Then turned them inside out and sewed up the front and back crotch area to flatten and even it all out, took in the sides, and sewed the bottom together, and added some corners at the bottom to give it depth. I lined it with an old pillowcase and made a strap and belt to go through the original belt loops.  Not a tutorial by any means, sorry about the 'short'ness of the directions.

All of the original shorts pockets remained. The front pockets...


And the back pockets...

 
99 cents for the shorts, 10 cents a pieces for 2 old pillowcases, 40 minutes I lets the kids watch some silly show on TV and a dusted off sewing machine.  This was a successful remake!

2 comments:

JoAnna said...

Talk about the power of suggestion. As I was about to read this post, there was an ad above it for shoes. The post says Shorts but I thought it said SHOES. I had to read this like 3 times to understand that you took SHORTS and made them into a purse. I was like "wow, that mamabee is good, but making a purse out of SHOES?????" Glad I have the master's in reading....

Danielle said...

Love the pattern and the purse! Wish I could sew up something in less than an hour. It seems to take me a half hour just to set up the sewing machine and figure out what I am going to do.