Tuesday, September 13, 2011

indoor sandbox

Lou and I were at the teacher store the other day and saw small childrens play sandboxes for indoor play.  He was very interested in them, but I pointed out that we had all of the pieces already at home.  The price at the store was a bit steep.   


We came right home and gathered our supplies.  We pulled the drawer out of a wooden Diego game set he has and filled it with sand from our sandbox. 


Added some construction pieces, rocks, and signs and had practically the same box as the store, but for free.


Then we thought of hiding some dinosaur bones in it and letting some of his 'guys' be paleontologist and dig them up.


We also worked on a dessert scene, but with only three pieces it was a little lacking.


Admittedly, there was a bit of sand on the floor when we were done playing.  Next time we will put a mat or towel down, but at least it was a free mess. 

 
I am linking up to some of these fine kiddo related parties:

Wednesday's A story + art = A Great stART  @ A Mommy's adventures,   Made by Little Hands Mondays @ delicate CONSTRUCTION Wednesday's Kids Get Crafty @ Red Teg Art's Blog, Tuesday's Show and Tell blog hop ad ABC and 123, 
Tot Tuesdays at Delicious AmbiguityFor the Kids Fridays @ Sun Scholars

3 comments:

mommyslittlemonkeys said...

What a good mom! Sand in the house! I am thinking of doing a box like this with rice....not sure the mess will be much less. lol

Vicky @ Mess For Less said...

I love the dinosaur bones in there. It's like a dig! I am a new follower from Made by Little Hands Mondays. Vicky @ www.messforless.net

maggy, red ted art said...

Oooh how fun! I bet your son ADORED this.. I know my two would.. love all the different "games"..


Thank you for joining in at Kids Get Crafty!

Maggy