Monday, January 3, 2011

homemade cheese

Making homemade cheese has been on my short list for awhile.  It's been intimidating though.  It was like sewing zippers, quilting and using a pressure caner.  On my list this year to tackle are making cheese, making yogurt, making bagels, learning to grow potatoes and making soap.

Turns out that making a soft cheese is not hard at all.  I even found a short video tutorial on you tube.  Here's a nice video explaining and demonstrating it all.   I am going to share the directions here, but I would totally recommend watching  the video too if you are going to try it.

1 c buttermilk
1 qt whole milk
1 1/2 t lemon juice
3/4 t salt

Slowly bring the whole milk to the temperature of 175 degrees.



Turn off the heat, add the buttermilk and lemon juice.  Stir for just a moment and then leave undisturbed for 10 minutes.  It will curdle like magic in just moments.  This separates the curds and whey.

Line a colander with two layers of cheese cloth.  Gently ladle in the curds and whey.  Let sit 5 minutes.

Tie up the cheese cloth on a large spoon over a bowl.  Leave for 30 minutes.  


Mix in the salt gently.  


 Spoon in to a small bowl, cover and let sit in fridge over night.  


Use as you would any other soft cheese.  We spread it on some focaccia and had some on bread chips.  Mine turned out a little salty.  When I thought back, I think I added the lemon juice amount 1 1/2 t.  instead of the salt amount 3/4 t.  We ate it anyway.  


I think bagels are next.

3 comments:

Unknown said...

I'm so impressed that you actually tried it! I can't wait to see how the bagels turn out.

Lots of Fun with My FaMiLy said...

Congrats!!!

Hey I was chosen to receive the Stylish blogger award and I got to pick bloggers I thought deserved the award as well and you were one of my choices

Check it out here
http://lotsoffunwithmyfamily.blogspot.com/2011/01/stylish-blogger-award.html

Kelly said...

Super impressed!