Wednesday, March 3, 2010

quilt along: week 6

You're sick of seeing pics of this quilt and I'm sick of sewing on it. That's not totally true on my part, but I am ready to be done. Lucky for me, I am! I finished up the binding Tuesday evening. My bloody fingers are happy to be done too (it was the hand sewing at the end that got me).

Week 6: binding (for full details, see here at I have to Say)


The fabric for the binding gets ironed, cut, folded, ironed, pinned on, sewn on with the machine, flipped, pinned and then hand sewn. It was almost as time consuming as the quilting portion.


Overall, I really enjoyed this project. It was more time intensive than any project I have done before. It certainly makes me appreciative of handmade items, quilts in general, and thankful for modern day mass produced items. I am so glad I had two helpful neighbors Abbey (who I can hopefully link to shortly) and Carole, to ask questions of and borrow items from as well as Randi's detailed instructions.

I'm already thinking about the next one. Thanks for hanging in there with me for this one. I promise not to give you so many details of the making of it.


Here are my other weeks:
Week 1: Preparing the fabrics

Week 2: cutting the fabric

Week 3: sewing the quilt top
Week 4: making the sandwich
Week 5: quilting

2 comments:

grandma said...

When I have a quilt quilted by the ladies from Omega, I sometimes have the binding done by them. It is always like you have done your project. I have two other ways, Yours looks wonderful. What is your next project. Will it be sewing or cooking?

Carole Davids said...

Love it! You did a great job!