Tuesday, June 2, 2009

last day of school

Today was the last day of our co-op preschool. I had a few random activities that go with books that we just didn't get to this year so I decided to do a bit of a random day. We also wanted to do a little something for the dads.

We rarely all end up at the table together! We didn't actually have a letter of the day, but I found these y pages from February as I was cleaning out our cabinet and gave them to the kids to doodle on the back, everybody turned their pages over and colored the fronts.


We did not get a change to read Chicka Chicka Boom Boom this year, even though it's such a classic alphabet book. Today we did. Then we glued the tree parts on and stamped cookie cutters in paint to make the letters climbing the tree. Here's Bee's page, hers is often the most tidy work (she is the oldest).



We read one of our favorite dad books, Daddies are for Catching Fireflies and then made a little art for our dads.



One of my favorite books to read to little ones is Mrs. McNosh hangs up the Wash. We read, then hung up some wash of our own. We used my scrap fabrics and the kids were so funny, they kept recognizing fabrics from projects I have made for them or from clothing that my own kids wear. Lou found a piece of fabric from the making of his blankie and fought another child for it. He sucked his thumb and clutched the blankie for the rest of the morning. You can see it in another picture.



Next we read A Pair of Socks. I had a huge bag of funky socks that just happened to be at church from a kids activity during church a few weeks ago. We looked for matches to make pairs. The kids found some matches and put them on.








I also really like the book It Looked Like Spilt Milk. I brought in a big bag of cotton balls and we played with clouds. I got the idea here. I wasn't sure how this activity would go. My kids love to play with beans and rice in cups and bowls, but cotton balls didn't seem like as much fun. I wanted to do cloud painting with shaving cream and glue, but I just didn't think I could handle that this morning, plus the moms aren't always happy when I send home wet projects.


It quickly became the favorite activity of the day and the cotton balls became icecream!


1 comment: